For the Reporter
Kent-based Allegro Performing Arts Academy is coming off a dazzling performance on the national dance stage.
Allegro Precision Dance Co. and PURE Hip-Hop teams shone at the Hollywood Vibe National competition in Anaheim, Calif., in July.
Among Allegro’s many highlights:
• Brielle Noble, 7, and 11 other dancers received scholarships, including the teen grand champion scholarship being awarded to dancer Anna Koffman.
• Allegro teachers won best direction awards for two of its group pieces – “Hard Knock Life,” a fun hip-hop version of the class, and “Let’s Dance,” a fun ’80s prom jazz piece.
• “Paper Hearts,” an intermediate lyrical duo performed by Landon Spurbeck and Brooke Ketchum and choreographed by Megan Butler, had the duo/trio overall top score.
• The “Bloom” contemporary duo took second overall in the senior division performed by Alix Chappell and Jalen Forward and choreographed by Mitchell Federan.
• Dancer of the year results: mini female first runner-up, Lillian Punak; intermediate male second runner-up, Dre’moni Watts; senior male third runner-up: Forward; and senior female first runner-up, Kristina Doucette.
• Teen female dancer of the year winner: Kennedy Griffin, 14, from Olympia, who commutes to Allegro for training.
• Teen male dance of the year winner: James Ades, 15, who attends Kentlake High School.
• Kristina Doucette, 17, of Auburn, earned the LA Agency award, of which she will be flown to Los Angeles to consult with top agencies, have a headshot photo session and receive a scholarship to Millennium Dance Complex to continue training
• Allegro’s Presto Junior team, which was chosen to re-compete at the Battle of the Stars, wound up placing second overall in the intermediate category with a performance of “Hide and Seek,” choreographed by Megan Butler
• Allegro’s Legato and Vivace teams were chosen to re-compete their musical theater line piece from Hamilton’s “Right Hand Man” in the senior category choreographed by guest teacher Eddie Strachan. They walked away as senior national champions, with a $2,000 award.
For more on the team and its programs, visit allegrodance.com.